5 Benefits of Losing Weight That Have Nothing to Do With Your Clothing Size
If you are overweight or obese, it can be easy to get caught in the trap of believing that your weight loss goal should be to fit into a smaller size of jeans or a size 6 dress. While dramatic weight loss will no doubt make your figure smaller, there are tons of benefits to maintaining a healthy weight that have nothing to do with what you see in the mirror. Some non-aesthetic benefits of losing weight include:
- Reduced back and knee pain. If you are overweight or obese and suffer from back or knee pain, your primary care provider in Newtown, PA will probably recommend shedding a few pounds. This is because carrying extra weight puts additional pressure on joints, leading to chronic pain.
- Improved energy levels. Maintaining a healthy weight makes movement easier and less taxing, leading many people who have lost weight to report that they have much more energy than when they were overweight.
- Higher quality sleep. Excess fat can obstruct airways when you sleep, leading to snoring, poor sleep quality, and increased instances of sleep apnea. Losing weight makes breathing easier, allowing you to catch higher quality Z’s at night.
- Decreased risk of strokes and heart attacks. Maintaining a healthy weight has been linked to decreased risks of almost every preventable illness and condition, including heart attacks and strokes.
- Decreased risk of type 2 diabetes. If you are overweight or obese, losing weight can help you decrease your risk of developing type 2 diabetes. This can be especially important if you have a family history of diabetes.
Dr. Sitapara is a concierge physician in Newtown, PA who is proud to help men and women make their weight-loss journey easier and a little more fun. If you’re interested in learning more about how concierge medicine can help you reach your weight-loss goals, give Signature Medicine a call today at 215-240-7374.